My stake and a neighboring YSA stake were asked to staff the choir for the Priesthood Session of April 2017 General Conference.
I sang T1. About 40 guys I go to church with each week spread themselves out across T1/T2/B1/B2.
We sang . . .
Rise Up, O Men of God
Jesus, Once of Humble Birth
(Made the camera on this one, around 0:48)
Redeemer of Israel
Hope of Israel
Great times. Hats off to our conductor Brett Taylor, music boss over at Mountain View High School.
- There are 364 seats in the Conference Center choir loft.
- Brett embraced his choir-geek music-nerdiness so much that it worked in his favor and won over the cooperation and trust of 364 mostly-amateur-singer dudes to sing with form and sound like a choir.
- A teacher who loves what they do, cares, finds simple ways to convey and teach building blocks of technique, who provides lots of “this way, not this way” demos, and who provides lots of “see, you’re improving” feedback makes a world of difference in short time.
- “The more in-tune that 5th is, the more truth there is in it. And thereby, the more the Spirit can testify of the truth of what we’re singing.”
- “If you come to the performance unshaven and with unkempt hair, heaven awaits you . . . but the choir does not.”